Quenton Quiroz “Q”
3. When did you become a member at CrossFit West of the River?
I did the free Saturday WOD on 8/30/14 and knew right then that I wanted to become a member, after I was able to catch my breath that is. My first actual WOD was 9/1/14 “Don’t you just love surprises” it was a team WOD.
4. Have you noticed any changes – physical or mental – since starting CrossFit? If so, what?
Yes, I’m hungry ALL THE TIME now! There are so many changes I don’t even know where to start. I have more confidence in myself for one. The physical changes have been unbelievable, when I see a picture of myself from before CrossFit it’s almost like I am looking at a completely different person. I have also started cooking/eating really healthy because of CrossFit. At first I didn’t eat very well, but after the first Nutrition Challenge (which was a couple weeks after I started) I felt a HUGE difference in my performance during the WOD’s and I didn’t feel as fatigued after so i have kept with it and now when I don’t eat healthy I can definitely tell a difference.
5. What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
“I where’s the trashcan?!”
6. When did you realize CrossFit is right for you?
That’s a tough one. I was addicted after did the free WOD on Saturday and knew I would come back. It was probably the first WOD of my second week that I realized CrossFit is right for me though. A couple months after I became a member I realized WOR is the right box for me, it feels like family.
7. What is your favorite CrossFit exercise? Least Favorite?
My favorite exercise constantly changes. Some of my current favorites are Ring Muscle Ups, Handstand Walk and Rowing. Least favorite, well if you asked people around the box, most would probably say mine is running haha! It is actually Kettlebell Swings, hate them with a passion!
8. What motivates you during a WOD?
Kelly Beatty and Mackenzie (Kenny) Devilbiss. All 3 of us push each other to our almost max every WOD. I can’t count all the times I have went back that evening to do the WOD again just to beat their time.
9. What goals do you have for yourself as a CrossFitter?
Become better than I was the day before, I think that is the goal for every CrossFitter .
10. What do you think sets CrossFit apart from other forms of fitness?
The number one thing is family. I think if you asked any person that has been doing CrossFit for any amount of time they would say how everyone in their box seems like family. The support and encouragement during and after the WOD’s are probably another thing that sets CrossFit apart than any other form of fitness.
11. What advice would you give people just starting CrossFit?
DON’T GIVE UP, it will get better… Kind of. But really, it will all be worth it. The first week or two are the worst, once you get past that and you have an understanding of the movements, you can actually enjoy the WOD’s… even if it leaves you lying on the floor gasping for air.
12. What is something no one knows about you?
When I brush my teeth I use warm water.
13. If you created a WOD and named it after yourself, what would it be?
“If you’re not first, you’re last”
5 Muscle ups (Ring or Bar)
10 Box Jumps (30”/24”)
20 Power Cleans (135/95)
40 Wall Balls(20/14)
Cash out: 800 Meter Row